Process & Outreach
The Outreach Team was a diverse group of community members. Each Team member had access to large networks of people and worked to spread the word about this unique opportunity to get involved. This group was active throughout the process inviting people to public meetings, workshops and other events.
Input & Feedback
Widespread public involvement was vital to Build One Portsmouth's success. A number of in-person workshops and online tools offered a variety of ways for the community to give input throughout the 24-month process. The first public event, the Focus on the Future Workshop, was held on November 10, 2016. Additional opportunities for involvement occurred in February of 2017.
Various stakeholder groups were convened to inform specific aspects of the Plan. These groups included:
- Business leaders
- Civic leagues
- Education professionals
- Industry representatives
- Real estate professionals and developers
- Young professionals
City staff supported and helped to coordinate the work of all other groups and provided local knowledge and expertise to each element of the Plan.
The Planning Commission officially oversaw the Plan update and provided extensive feedback throughout the process. The final plan was formally adopted by the Planning Commission and City Council, who will have a central role in its implementation.
Process Leadership & Expertise
The consultant team brought together expertise and national experience in public engagement, technical planning, sustainability and resiliency planning.
- Clarion Associates: Plan Implementation
- Kimley-Horn and Associates: Mobility Planning
- McBride Dale Clarion: Project Management and Comprehensive Planning
- Planning NEXT: Visioning and Public Engagement
- Dr. David Godschalk, University of North Carolina (UNC) Chapel Hill: Sustainability
- The Miles Agency: Communications and Outreach
- Mr. James Fox, NEMAC at UNC Asheville: Resiliency and Sustainability Decision Support
- TischlerBise: Fiscal Impact and Market Analysis